2.8.13

FO: Bad Oyster

It's the final FO from the old apartment!  Unfortunately my camera also died the same day and our charger is broken, so I had to take these photos on my phone.  Sadly they don't do the awesomeness that is Bad Oyster quite enough justice.


I originally intended to use this Highland Handmade sock yarn (in the Uber colorway) to knit socks, but the color was so verigated that every design I tried seemed to look too busy.  I am not a huge fan of fringe, but I decided to give this design by Alex Tinsley a go and immediately fell in love with it.  The construction is so basic yet innovative that I don't want to tell you about the construction because that will give away the pattern.  Let's just say that it is knit without purling and there is steeking involved.  I have never cut my knitting as part of a design process before, so it was a little nerve wracking but very exciting.  I stayed up far too late one night because I could not stop making fringe.


The shawl is a lot of fun to make.  It's more of a small funky scarf than an actual shawl, but it makes for a great accessory.  I wore it out with one of my old teacher dresses to give a bit of edge.  Come fall I think this will be a staple part of my wardrobe.

To see other great finished projects, check out the linkup over at Tami's Amis.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to steek my own knitting, but I love your results.

    ReplyDelete