30.1.13

Warming to Pink

Lately it seems all I do here is talk about the weather.  But it's crazy!  We had delays and closures through Monday and then yesterday it was so warm when I left work that I threw caution to the wind and ran outside.  Take it from me, seventy degrees is no reason to go running on trails when the sun is almost down.  Especially when you forget your glasses.  Though I will say, I think that was the best outdoor pace I have maintained in a long time.

With our crazy weather I have decided that it is time to move on to warmer knits.  I am still working on the Lightning Shrug, but my startitis kicked in again on Monday when I received this little lovely in the mail.


Duckie by Unwind Yarn Company.  This was the colorway Dana dyed for her first round of the 2 Crafty Girls club.  I did not get in, but at the beginning of the month she put up a few skeins for preorder and I pounced.  How could I not buy Duckie yarn?  I suddenly had to knit a Pretty in Pink shawl.

I seem to be on a Knitscene kick because I dug out my winter 2012 issue and selected the Merging Ripples Shawl.  I love the way the pattern uses short rows to achieve a deep striping shawl.  The only problem is that it is knit from the bottom up, so the cast on was gigantic.  It took me all of this week's episode of The Carrie Diaries to get it cast on (I don't know why I watch this show.  I keep vowing not to watch another episode, but the clothes and music and guest stars keep pulling me back in).


Bloomie's Bear volunteered to model just how long it is.  My size US4 interchangable tip broke, so I pulled out a US 5.  I tend to knit tightly and I have more yardage than the pattern calls for, so I think it will be fine.


I am reminded why people love striping shawls so much.  I love the way the colors are working up and the short rows are so addictive.  I'm imagining wearing this with a spring dress and I suddenly find myself reveling in the potentially warmer weather -- a thought I still find shocking.

To see more splendid WIPs, check out Tami's Amis!


3 comments:

  1. ooh that is a pretty yarn, I love it.... and the shawl looks cute too. Have a knitty Wednesday xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful yarn, it will be a great shawl

    ReplyDelete