1.11.12

Geektastic Thursday: More Insanity

If you read posts on the blog you may have noticed a new button on the side. I have, in a fit of insanity, decided to participate in NaNoWriMo.  During the month of November I and a lot of more inspired individuals will attempt to write a 50,000 word work of fiction, a minimal amount required to constitute a novel.

While NaNoWriMo has been around for a while, I did not learn of it until high school.  I knew some kids who attempted, but I never did.  Not because I did not have any ideas, but because I had school and November is prime exam season.  There was just no way I could meet my extracurricular obligations, keep my academic focus, read the million books I had stacked by my bed, and write a novel.  In college I had the same excuse.  And then grad school.  I just could not justify the time when I was supposed to be grading 80+ student essays about the fall of the Roman Empire.

But now I have decided that I am out of excuses.  I've finished school, my job does not follow me home, and I claim that I want to start writing seriously again.  While fiction is well outside the scope of my published work, I think it will be a welcome challenge.  If nothing else it will help me clear out my head so that I can start putting ideas on paper once again.  My goal is, of course, to finish, and then maybe edit what I have down to a decent short story.  That is if I manage to write anything at all.  Currently I have a starting point and a very vague concept for the overall story.  I know most people outline, but if I am going to jump outside my comfort zone, I might as well go all the way.  If I get stuck I can always pull out my white board and pretend I'm outlining thesis chapters once again.

All of this means that the amount of knitting I have been doing may decline as I'll be spending more time writing and less time watching television or podcasts.  Because I don't believe in procrastinating.  Which is why I swatched the pumpkin yarn last night.


Just in case I get a yen for that cabled hoodie after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment