16.4.12

Getting Out There

Today is the Boston Marathon!  I love having the day off when there is a big race because twitter just goes nuts.  In honor of one of the biggest races of the year, I was going to write about how much I am enjoying running and how much it has helped me lately, but then last night I went for a run and it kicked me in the butt!  A few days ago I ran my longest run ever -- just under an hour and somewhere between four and five miles (I know, kind of slow, but I listen to podcasts while I run and the talking does not get me moving as fast as a good beat, but it does keep me moving).  Yesterday I set out to run a comparable amount, but ended up struggling just to get back home because somebody forgot to eat enough at lunch to have enough fuel to burn.

It was really disappointing to have such a struggle yesterday, but then today I went to zumba and rocked it out. I was late, so I was in the back of the room instead of my standard second/third row.  I forgot how fun and uncompetative the back of the room is.  Even though zumba is based firmly in dancing, I never feel sexy while I'm doing it.  But today I remembered why I joined the Y.  The great thing about running is that I can get away from everything and be alone for a while.  The great thing about taking these classes is that I am not alone.  The Y is a very open environment.  If you are a part of the local community, you are welcome to attend any class which you can physically handle.  And even those who can't.  We have a few not-quite elderly women who take these classes who have a blast doing what limited movements they can.  And they love it!  I got pulled up to the front with some stay at home moms for a few songs and we had a blast together.

It is amazing how much better I feel after working out.  I went up to my teacher after class and told her how much I appreciate this class.  It has been two and a half years since my car accident and this is the first thing I've been able to do, besides run, that has not hurt my back.  In fact, it helps.  It makes life so much better when I can do something that does not cause me pain.  And it gets me out of the apartment and brings me into contact with other people.

After class I felt so good I was able to sit and finish one of my deadline knits.


Francis the Llama models the Leafy Knot Clutch knit for my Downton Abbey swap partner.  He's looking very Edwardian.

No comments:

Post a Comment