13.3.12

The Start of Something New

Since I have finished school and am not going to be a student for the foreseeable future, I have started looking into alternative ways to get the fix I always had from classes and the structure of my education.  I have joined the Y (I take zumba now.  Three classes in I love it but find myself becoming very competitive which is funny when I don't know the routines yet so I'm tripping over myself), I have a steady influx of books to my kindle thanks to the library, and now I find myself dying to expand my fiber abilities.  Because I'm currently knitting several items on a deadline, this is not to come in the form of a new project any time soon.  Instead, I spent about an hour today watching youtube tutorials and playing with this.


So far I've learned that I prefer drafting with my right hand while turning the spindle with my left.  And that I know more creative expletives than I thought.


This is as far as I got before the fiber snapped.  What you don't see is the pile of discarded leaders on the floor next to me.  It took forever but I loved it.  I have definitely been bitten by the spinning bug.  The only problem is that I have no idea what to do once the yarn is on the spindle.  I know the concept of plying, but no one has ever explained how all of this works on a spindle.  I guess it's back to youtube.

1 comment:

  1. That's the spirit! I have had this very insane thought that when I get older (i.e. close to retirement) that I want to buy an alpaca farm and spin my own wool. Being 26 I have some time to dream and you know learn to spin and be a farmer :). Anyway, when I finished my undergrad, I went into craft and book overload but now that I am back in for my masters its all a balancing act. This time is the best. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete