12.12.10

The Return

Sorry for long silence. The week before Thanksgiving my computer decided to make my life a living hell and short out the fan. Right in the middle of the most stressful part of the semester. Guess that's what I get for naming my computer after a Dollhouse character.

Here's a few photos of what life's been like and all the craziness you should be glad you've missed out on:


Grading, grading, and more grading. Boy am I glad that's done for the semester.


Malabrigo stress breaks,


Amid late nights spent buried under piles of research (yes, that's Princess Diaries. I was looking at using it for an example in my paper but unfortunately it didn't suit the subject matter)


Thanks to comps, I wasn't able to go home for Thanksgiving. But my family came here instead. One of the advantages of living here in a sprawling metropolis? We got to cut an hour off the travel time for Black Friday, a day in which we go buy one or two things and then marvel at the crazy hordes of people. My sister really wanted that giant makeup kit for $15.


No pictures of Thanksgiving food, we ate too fast, but this is my favorite way to use up the leftovers.


Friday was a day of support for young girls everywhere who might feel outcast because of their geek love. This was done in honor of Katie, a now famous first-grader, who was made fun of by the boys because she loves Star Wars. The outpouring of support has been quite impressive to people who are not part of the female geek community. Unfortunately far too many women and girls feel the need to hide their love of Star Wars, BSG, comics, etc. I hope that this story helps continue to change the way people view women and the geek community.

Me? I just can't hide my geek pride, any day of the year. This is actually the tank from the new Boba Fett sleep set over at Her Universe. I turned it into a party outfit because I truly do have a "Boba Fett-ish"


It's the start of the Christmas season! Wednesday I indulged in one of my favorite traditions -- peppermint chocolate ice cream. This isn't the peppermint flavored ice cream you get at the store. Instead I buy the individually wrapped peppermints and crush them over vanilla ice cream. Add some fudge (or chocolate sauce if you have it handy) and it's Christmas in a bowl!


This little terror looks so innocent. . . . Until he drug out my yarn and tangled it all up and down the staircase. . . .

1 comment:

  1. I read the story of the little girl and Star Wars. When I was four I wanted to be Chewbacca for Halloween. My Mom couldn't afford a full costume so I wore pink footie PJs and a plastic Chewie mask. I remember ppl making comments that Chewie was a boy, but I loved it anyways.

    I wish I could say people change and aren't mean to people who are different, but they don't. They just show in different ways (like not getting a promotion because I'm not part of the good ol' boys network, or being stared at like an oddity). I get those often. BUT, at least now, with the internet and social networking, it's easier to find people just like me. I feel accepted and happy to belong to the coolest kind of geekdom. =)

    ReplyDelete