27.10.10

WIP Wednesday: Knitting for Cold

Last week the temperature here in North Carolina started to go back up. And up and up and up. It is now back in the mid-80s here on the coast. I am actually wearing a sleeveless dress without a sweater. In October. I know, it's bad. So to placate my overwhelming need for cold weather (Yes, I live on the North Carolina coast and I hate hot weather. Further proof that you really do go where the funding is), I am knitting cold weather accessories.

Two years ago I made a lot of Bella mittens for friends out of Lion Brand Jiffy Solid (they have the perfect shade of grey). This year one of these friends asked if I would knit a cowl for her that would match the color of the mittens. She had some specific ideas and so I cast on for a basic garter eyelet pattern of my own improvisation. Only I didn't like how it was turning out. On Sunday I ripped it back and tried to decide if I needed to go buy new needles for it. Miraculously I found the exact needles I need in an old project bag. Evidentially I bought these really nice US 8 circs at the beginning of the summer and immediately forgot that I had them.


So now I've cast back on but have not knit more than maybe half a row because I've been a bit distracted . . .


PS: Check out other WIP: Wednesday bloggers on Tami's Mr. Linky

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, pretty purple! What *is* that? Sorry for your hot weather. We have chill-in-the-air to spare around here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets distracted! lol

    That color grey is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That will be a yummy cowl! Are you using stitch markers to count your cast-ons, or is something complicated about to happen?
    (Love the purple too.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the whole too warm but want cold thing. In San Diego it doesn't get very cold, yet I still crochet scarfs/hats, etc. If only I could use them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel about the weather. I used to be a sun worshipper, but now I just want to wear my hand-knits! Both projects are pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it's crazy warm here in MA too - 75 today, and tomorrow almost 80! I can't believe I'm going to be able to go & knit in the park at the end of October, without wearing 5 layers!

    (here from WIPW)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been chilly for over a week here in the desert. Supposed to back in the high 80's by Friday. I hate the heat too. We moved down here for the lower humidity is better for those with chronic pain.

    Love the purple. I need to make a cowl for my mom, I've been trying to decide on a pattern for months.

    ReplyDelete